- Cooling Capacity - It is the amount of heat energy removed by the Air Conditioner from a space for a given time. The most commonly used unit for Cooling capacity is British Thermal Unit (BTU) per hour. In common parlance, the capacity of AC is indicated in ton. 1 ton (1 TR) is equivalent to 12,000 BTU.
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) – EER is a ratio that indicates the cooling efficiency of an air-conditioner with respect to the power consumption. EER = Cooling Capacity (Watt) / Power Input(Watt).
- Star Rating - Star rating is provided by Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE),an autonomous body under the Ministry of Power. It is a part of its energy labeling pro gramme. The objective of the pro-gramme is efficient use of energy & its conservation. As of now, the number of stars vary from 1 -5. Energy labeling is mandatory for Room Air Conditioners. Each star has a specified band of EER . The following table provides the details of the EER band corresponding to each star
|Star Rating||Minimum EER||Maximum EER|
1) What type of AC is suitable for my room Window AC or Split AC?
Ans ) It depends on the room size and shape. Window AC comes in the form of a single box. It is easy to fit in a window or a wall frame. If your room is such that the it is not feasible to install a window AC, you have to take a Split AC. In Split AC there are 2 units – Indoor unit & outdoor unit. It is slightly costlier than Window AC.
2) How shall I choose the appropriate place to install my AC ?
Ans ) While selecting the place , please keep the following factors in mind :
- The place should offer a solid platform so that the AC gets a good back support.
- The place is not directly exposed to sunlight.
- There is no encroachment. Airflow from and to the AC unit is not hampered.
3) How do I decide on the ideal AC tonnage required for my room?
Ans ) The capacity required is directly related to the amount of heat required to be removed from the room. The amount of heat is a function of many factors such as i) the location of your city ii) solar radiation heat through exposed roof, glass window etc, iii)No. Of people, electrical gadgets, in the room. Exact capacity can be determined by using the 'Heat Load calculation template'. However, as a rule of thumb , the following are the suggested area – tonnage combination :
|Area of the room (sqf)||Suggested AC tonnage|
|Less than 100||0.75 TR|
|130 – 175||1.5 TR|
|175 – Upto 220||2 TR|
4) What features should I focus while purchasing an AC?
- Power Consumption
- After Sales Service Setup of the manufacturer
- Aesthetics are some of the suggested features that you should look into while purchasing an AC.
5) Do I require a voltage stabilizer for my AC ?
Ans ) Check for the manufacturers specification of voltage range for a particular Air Conditioner. The air-conditioner performs efficiently within this specified range. You should use a stabilizer if the voltage in your area fluctuates outside the specified range. Please use a good quality stabilizer.